Monday, April 27, 2009

Motorcycling in the DNA? A father/son thing!

I got a little ahead of myself in telling the story of my reimmersion into motorcycling -- so let me divert back to an earlier time for this posting.

When I decided to get back into motorcycling after a quarter century absence from the hobby/sport/past time, everyone I talked to recommended that I take the training class set up by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. The classes are intended for everyone -- even a person who has never ridden a motorcycle -- and include both classroom and practical experience (on motorcycles provided in the class). Initially I thought it would be a waste of my time -- as I felt I already KNEW how to ride. Therefore, I proceeded to get my motorcycle endorsement on my license without benefit of the class (one can either just test for the endorsement at DMV or take the class and receive the endorsement as part of successful completion of the class). I chose to just take the test and I passed but I must say it was more challenging than I expected and it was clear that there were some techniques, particularly slow speed turns, that I didn't know how to do.

In thinking about the taking the class, I hit upon an idea of finding out whether my son Neal might be interested in taking the class with me. As I recall, my oldest daughter exhibited no interest and my youngest wasn't of driving age -- so I'd like to think that it wasn't just a sexist decision to expose Neal to the opportunity to learn to ride a motorcycle. I do remember Deb and I having some serious conversations about the risks/dangers and the wisdom, or lack thereof, in exposing Neal to the opportunity.

Neal was interested and we enrolled in the beginner's class together. As mentioned, the class assumes no prior knowlege or experience with a motorcycle. In Neal's case, he had not even driven a car that required shifting -- so the class was going to be his first exposure to the use of a clutch and shifting (yes, I do feel this is an area that I failed my kids in that we only owned automatic transmission vehicles during their lives. If I had it to do over again, I'd definitely either own or rent a stick for training the kids). Anyway, after some classroom instruction, the practical part starts with classmates pushing each other on the motorcycles (engines off) to get used to the controls -- and progresses slowly to riding/shifting etc. It was a little like watching Neal take his first steps 19 years earlier, or watch him learn to ride a bicycle -- only much more frightening -- but Neal was quickly mastering the motorcycle and did an outstanding job in the class. I too learned plenty from the class -- and now understand and repeat to all who have never taken the class (no matter what their experience), that they should take the class.

Neal emerged from the class with his endorsement but I perceived that the ST1100 wouldn't be a good starter bike to get his first road experience. Therefore, we found what I consider to be one of the most perfect starter bikes -- a used Kawasaki Ninja 250. It was a 1990 model but in great condition with low miles. On June 20, 2001, we paid $1500 for it.
In the summers of 2001 and 2002, Neal and I enjoyed several wonderful motorcycle rides -- including some overnight rides. Destinations included the San Juan Islands, Winthrop, Astoria, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Baker among other fun trips. We even camped off the motorcycles on the trip to Lopez Island/San Juans for two nights -- but I quickly learned that camping and motorcycling didn't mix for me (too much gear/protective clothing to protect, too little storage space, and just too problematic -- it's the last time I've tried camping while riding -- it's too nice to get a cheap sleep and ride feeling refreshed and clean).

Two wonderful summers of fun on two wheels -- but with Neal's marriage and relocation plans (moving to continue school in southern California) in 2003, I sold the Ninja in May 2003 for $1750 (I'd put new tires on it -- and it was still a bargain for another new rider).

I like to think that my passion for motorcycling got passed on to Neal -- and that's probably the case because he and his wife purchased their own more powerful Ninja during the first years of their marriage -- while going to school in Riverside. Thankfully they were smarter than Deb and I and had full protective gear for their rides -- and didn't ride with a hiked up mini-skirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment