Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Renewing the Dream in 2000

I/we loved motorcycling in the 1970's -- and had only experienced a couple of frightening experiences (in 1971 I t-boned a car that had pulled out from a stop sign without seeing me -- doing damage to the motorcycle but no damage to me; and, in 1974 Deb and I had our motorcycle grind to a stop when our security chain got tangled with our tire on a major freeway near the Pentagon at night. We both escaped unscathed but the event still gives me scared feelings when I think of the alternate outcomes that we were lucky enough to avoid). But as "way leads on to way" (Robert Frost's "Less Traveled Road") -- I can honestly say that we never really even thought about getting another motorcycle until some 25 years had passed and oldest two kids were in college and our youngest was about 14. It happened rather serendiptiously when one of my subordinates mentioned that she had a motorcycle. I still remember thinking that there was no reason why I couldn't/shouldn't have a motorcycle -- and soon the passion was reborn. Before long I arranged a day-long rental of a motorcycle where I spent the day on backroads over Mt. Rainier -- and began preparations to get the needed helmets/gear and license endorsement -- and a motorcycle.

Now, my co-worker and other colleagues that had motorcycles all had Harley Davidson motorcycles -- but I never developed a passion for these "cruiser" type -- loud pipe motorcycles. I'm not sure I fully understand it nor can I adequately explain it -- but I was just never enthused with the Harley/cruiser bikes perhaps because I was entirely motivated by the desire for longer distance motorcycling not the most common calling of Harley/cruiser riders. In any event, I almost immediately focused on the shaft-driven (rather than belt and/or chain driven) motorcycles -- and ended up negotiating the purchase of a Honda ST1100 -- whose long distance prowess is legendary among long distance motorcyclists. The one I purchased in 2000 was a 1995 -- and with low miles and impeccable condition, it cost $8000.
[Deb and I on our 1995 Honda ST1100 in 2001]
Deb was onboard with the idea of getting back into motorcycling -- and we rode together (complete with a communications intercom between our helmets) every chance we got in all directions from our home east of Seattle -- including overnight trips when we could. The passion was definitely reborn. Deb and I also restarted talking about the long forgotten motorcycle trip across the USA -- now a retirement "bucket list" item.

No comments:

Post a Comment