Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 19 (Sept 22) - East Bound Trip Completed

My only goal for the day was to end the east bound portion of trip across the USA in Williamsburg, VA -- and I accomplished that along with a lunch in Virginia Beach, Virginia with friend and priest that married Deb and I. It took a bunch of freeway travel to accomplish it -- as Virginia Beach is about 55 miles beyond Williamsburg on my route from the Richmond, VA area -- but by early afternoon I arrived in Williamsburg. Here are a few stats of my entire trip:

Total Distance Travelled: 4145 miles
Total Moving Time (in saddle): 80 hours, 49 minutes.
Number of States on Route: 12 (WA, OR, ID, UT, WY, CO, KS, MO, IL, KY, WV, VA)
I haven't figured the gas bill up yet but the bike averages 40 mpg -- and assuming a $2.50 per gallon average - the total for gas should be around $260.

Following is the actual GPS track of the entire route along with an altitude profile of the trip -- with links to larger images of each:

Click here for a larger image of this map.

This following chart shows the actual elevations of the route. Reading left to right, it shows that the trip started out at about sea level -- and as I traveled, I continued to climb -- reaching the highest elevation above 12000 feet at Independence Pass, Colorado. Thereafter, I was back pretty much at sea level until reaching the hills of West Virginia and Virginia.

Click here for a larger image of this chart.

I'll be staying here in Williamsburg with Neal/Anna for a few days. I haven't yet decided when I'll begin the return trip, but I have a service scheduled for the bike at a nearby Honda dealer. It should be mentioned that the bike had no problems or issues -- the service is just for routine maintenance. The only equipment failures during the trip were:
1. In my search for what felt like a bug in my helmet, I pulled a speaker wire in my helmet loose (fixed as noted in the blog for around $14)
2. The lock on the cable lock used to secure my helmet to the bike failed. A better replacement cost $10.
3. The handheld air compressor I brought on the trip failed (after 9 years of use). I found a similarly sized replacement on special for $7.
4. A piece of tape came loose from inside my helmet (where it secured a microphone wire) and attached itself to my forehead (as blogged about!)




No comments:

Post a Comment