Thursday, September 3, 2009

Ready to Roll

The bike is packed, the GPS is loaded with my routes, and my paper maps are highlighted. I think I'm ready to begin this adventure tomorrow. As with all trips, I'm sure I've forgotten or purposely left out something I will need -- but that too is part of the adventure: making do with what I did remember/select or picking up the things I need along the way. As with most of my trips, I think I have more electronics than I have clothes -- as clothes are easily replaced during the trip, but electronics (GPS, cell phone, notebook) would be harder and more expensive to replace quickly.

The weather is what it often is in the Northwest USA -- rather unpredictable. I've always thought that "scattered showers" or "a chance of showers" is just another way for the weather folks to confirm, that with all the modern technology, they are generally only about as reliable as the the age old "Red sky at night, sailor's delight..." For my part, I'll just maintain the mantra that has been a catch-phrase for much of our travel experiences -- "it is what it is." In prior trips I've sometimes moved the start date up or back to try to accommodate the weather predictions -- but because this trip is starting with a planned two night stop at Ben's grandparents' home in Sunriver, Oregon where Deb is also headed by car with Ben/Debi and the grandkids -- I'm headed out regardless of weather. Starting from my departure Sunday from Sunriver, I'll begin daily adjustments to try to deal with the adventurous opportunities gifted by mother-nature. Hopefully some of the gifts will be "predicted" by the weather folks.

The bike is posed for the adventure complete with my waiting "camel back" water supply (the backpack hanging from the right handlebar). A good friend and fellow rider on previous trips, Vince, introduced me to the benefits of a "camel back" that allows me to have a ready supply of water (fed by a tube with a special valve for a mouthpiece) while I ride. Being able to stay hydrated by sipping water conveniently while I ride makes a noticeable difference in the comfort of the ride. No longer am I tied to keeping hydrated just at rest stops that are usually timed for unloading water!

You might also note my special paper map holder between the handlebars. Although my GPS is great for keeping me on route with all kinds of detailed information (number of miles to next turn, number of miles to destination, amount of time at current average speed to get to destination, etc), the small screen is not good for a quick perspective of my location. Yes, the GPS can zoom in and out -- but there is nothing like a paper map for getting a quick perspective.

Next posting from the road! This "bucket list" trip is ready for departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment