Saturday, October 3, 2009

On The Road Again

Tomorrow, Sunday October 4th, I will climb on the motorcycle to begin the return trip to my home -- exactly one month since I started this adventure. My original plan was to begin the return trip one week ago -- but today we (Neal, Anna, Debbie and I) flew back to Williamsburg from three nights in Phoenix, Arizona where we attended the funeral of Ryan Job. There is not much that can be said about the funeral -- it was/is incredibly sad. I was thankful that we could arrange to attend -- together.

I have added a few more motorcycle miles since my arrival in Williamsburg and before we flew out for the funeral including getting the bike serviced. The service was just for routine fluid changes but I also learned that I needed new rear brakes. In addition, I was happy to finally make contact with another former boss whom I hadn't had contact with in over 10 years -- and enjoyed a 3 hour lunch that passed way too quickly when we coordinated a meeting at a half-way spot in Richmond, VA. I made the ride to and from on another spectacular scenic VA backroad - highway 5.

As I previously noted, I wasn't sure whether I would continue with the return trip. However, the weather looks acceptable and I have gotten renewed inspiration from a blog of a motorcycle rider who is in his 6th month of a 5 year motorcycle journey -- taking leave from a 14 year career as a chiropractor (he is 45 -- my daughter Staci had met him in Seattle and told me about his blog). My adventure certainly seems like child's play in comparison -- but I suspect we share some of the same motivations and are learning some of the same things.

I do feel like my "bucket list" item has been already completed by the east bound trip -- so this west bound trip will be just for fun and because the timing/opportunity seem to work. I start with the same expectations -- avoid adverse weather, stay off interstates, route on as many scenic backroads as possible along the route. Initially I hope to take in some of the well-known Blue Ridge Parkway into North Carolina/Tennessee -- and visit a few roads that are like mecca to motorcycle riders and sports car drivers, including "Tail of the Dragon" with its 318 curves in 11 miles.

As Willie Nelson sings, tomorrow "I'm On The Road Again."

No comments:

Post a Comment