Thursday, September 10, 2009

Random Thoughts/Encounters: The Awareness Test

If you haven't seen the "Awareness Test" on youtube.com - I recommend that you follow this link and take the test now BEFORE reading the rest of this blog. Some of what I have to say will make more sense AFTER you've taken the test.

Yesterday during the ride into Steamboat Springs, CO, I happened to take a break to get some gas and replenish my water supply at a "general store" and gas station in Maybell, CO (click here to see a Google Street View - but give your computer a little time to bring in the actual photo). When I pulled into the pumps, I noticed three Harley Davidson touring bikes (Ultra Glides) sitting in various shady spots around the store and a group of riders sitting at a nearby picnic table. After taking care of the gas/water, I engaged one of the riders with the usual "where you headed?" When he answered with a proper British accent that the group was headed to Steamboat Springs, I followed up with the usual "where you from?" He initially said "a long way away" to which I guessed "Canada?" based on the accent. He answer was -- "no, the UK."

Over the next 15 or so minutes and as the other 5 (3 couples) gathered around, I learned that they flew into Denver from the UK and rented the bikes. They were nearing the end of a nearly two week circle tour that had taken them through lots of Colorado and Wyoming (Yellowstone). It was the second time they had made such a trip, the last one being down the California coast -- and while they were riding Harley's here -- one rode a Honda in the UK and another owned a couple of bikes including a Norton. When I expressed amazement at their undertaking and told them that I had just assumed they were local Harley riders, one of the women pointed out that each of their Harley's displayed a St. George's Cross flag upon which "England" had been printed. I had not even noticed the flags when I pulled in. It's so true that one doesn't see what he/she isn't looking for.

It was a brief but fun encounter as I learned about their trips, and I encouraged them to make their next trip to the northwest -- and gave them one of my cards, encouraging them to call or email. It'd be fun to cross paths with them again either in the northwest or the UK. Unless rushed for time, I always try to take time to engage other riders I meet along the way -- and have only occasionally felt like the effort was wasted. More often it leads to interesting encounters that are part of the fun of riding a motorcycle -- another part of the special comaradarie that I've written about before.

And while I'm on the topic of awareness, it's worth mentioning again that I enjoy the fact that I chose a bright yellow bike to ride. Some studies have reported that failure by other drivers to see motorcycles in heavy traffic contribute to 70% of the motorcycle accidents. The bike's color gets lots of fun comments: "I guess you really want to be noticed." "If you paid a little more, they might have been able to make that yellow brighter." ... and the like. My co-workers used to call it the "school bus" -- and I often incorporate that moniker in my response. Sometimes I tell the true story that my co-workers put a ticket on my bike stating that the parking spot was only for motorcycles not school busses. Similarly, I usually respond to comments about the bikes large size with the comment that "some people think it's half of a Honda Civic." In that regard, I couldn't help but snap this photo of where I parked at the condo here in Steamboat Springs.



1 comment:

  1. Love the picture. And the fact that you didn't get a ticket while parking there is all the more reason for jokes...

    ReplyDelete