Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 8 and 9 - The Best and the Worst

September 11, 2009
Dear Ms. Colorado:

Thank you for the many pleasures of caressing the lovely curves of your beauty. Every moment I got to spend with you was exciting as you took me to new heights of pleasure. Thanks too for wearing such stunning colors that accentuated your beauty. I'll look forward to the very next opportunity that our paths may cross.
Lovingly,
The School Bus

September 12, 2009
Dear Ms. Colorado:
Yesterday is only a faint memory. Today I learned that you can be just as gloomy as my usual girlfriend, Ms. Washington. And no, I don't think I needed to take a shower last night. The most positive thing I could say about our very hum-drum time together is that at least you smelled lots better than Ms. Kansas whom I visited this afternoon.
Moving On,
The School Bus

And least that's what I think School Bus would write. For my part, I now know first hand how different western and eastern Colorado are -- much like eastern/western Washington! There are so many fantastic motorcycle roads in western Colorado (west of Denver) that it was difficult to decide how to route myself through the state. I finally settled on a north/south route called "Top of The Rockies" and was treated to fantastic roads on a fantastically beautiful day. I even added an extra 60 miles to my route to take a well-worth-it round trip to the top of Independence Pass (especially appropriate considering the 9/11 day, I think) and the Continental Divide.
I awoke on Sept 12 to find my bike wet from an overnight shower and with forecasts of adverse weather for the now very straight ride through eastern Colorado and into Kansas. There seems to be no avoiding the boringly straight roads to get through Kansas and though I have continued to successfully avoid interstates, today it was the riding equivalent to interstates except for the tremendous air pressure visited on the bike by every semi passing in the opposite direction. Although the ride was straight and boring, I found much to be entertained by in the towns that I passed through and stops that I made. My favorite was watching a woman at a rest stop set her burning cigarette on the walkway into the restroom and picking it up again when she exited, continuing to smoke it. I also got a good laugh out of the only "Overlook" in Kansas that I've come across -- and the pull off was so one could "overlook" a stock yard. And there is no need for an overlook for just one -- there are MANY on the route -- the smells of which were with me most of the day.

My second equipment malfunction started the day when my handheld air compressor decided that it had reached the end of its life (not bad for a $15 purchase 9 years ago when I got back into biking). And if the cold, gloomy weather wasn't enough punishment, I also happened to pick a Mexican place for lunch that turned out to be a bad choice. But hey, I knew every day wouldn't be like the day in the Colorado Rockies or the Idaho Sawtooth. And, thankfully, I only got a light dusting of rain early in the ride even though it looked threatening all day.

Tonight I am in the famed Dodge, Kansas -- but just as I had read -- the days of Matt Dillion and Kitty have given way to an ugly strip of fast food and motels. One day of crummy for all the beauty that has gone before is acceptable. But wait -- I still have another day in Kansas tomorrow. Where is that Yellow Brick Road?

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad you enjoyed our Western slopes. I live and love Colorado. I learned how to ride this year and have been fortunate that my learning experience has been through the Colorado Mountains. I hear ya about last weekend. We took a trip to Estes, in the car thankfully because it was cold drizzle all day then later turned to snow!

    Saturday, the 19th we are leaving for our bike trip through CO, UT, AZ, NM and back to CO. We are planning on 7 days, but will have a 2 day buffer, just in case. I’m really excited! Reading blogs like yours makes me want to take of NOW! Have a good rest of you trip!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete