Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 10 - More Kansas: Not My Kind Of Ride

A summary: I'm having fun, seeing interesting people and places, and had another day of pretty wonderful weather BUT Kansas is no place for the kind of motorcycle riding that I like to do. For me, the fun, indeed the thrill, of riding a motorcycle is only in the curves. Sure I can and have written about the view and the smells but my own reality is that without the fun of the curves, I would not be riding a motorcycle. And, since the parts of Kansas that I'm traveling through do not seem to have ANY curves (or at least none that I can find), today was another day of garnering the fun from things OTHER than riding.

I did choose to ride one of the two "Most Scenic" Roads in Kansas (according to Reader's Digest) along the old Santa Fe Trail and greatly enjoyed a stop at Ford Larned National Historic Site, a preserved and reconstructed site of one of the original military posts to protect the commerce and travelers on the heavily used Trail.

I also passed through Kinsley, KS which claims to be the midpoint between San Francisco and New York:


This stop prompted me to do a little checking on how I'm doing on my trip between my home and my destination, Williamsburg, VA. As of tonight, in Emporia, KS (southwest of Kansas City) I am 1443 miles from home with 1066 miles to go (as a crow flies). The actual number of miles I've ridden so far is 2,386; Total Moving Time (time in seat): 45 hours, 18 minutes.

I've also uploaded a map that includes that exact GPS track I've taken so far. You can see it by clicking here.



No comments:

Post a Comment