Friday, October 16, 2009

Day 42 (Thu., Oct 15) - Great Start - Crappy Finish

Two nights in Santa Fe were not enough -- but it was time to get on the road again and the first 100 miles of the day were spectacular as I took Highway 4 through the Bandelier National Monument and close by to Los Alamos (the "birthplace" of the atomic bomb), through the Caldera National Preserve and the Santa Fe National Forest. The temperature was a crisp 54 degrees with beautiful blue sky as I ascended the 8,800 foot roadway with not one vehicle slowing my ride.

Going Up
Coming Down

However, the next 200 miles were back to fairly straight, high speed travel through unremarkable desert landscape and the strip-mall looking town of Farmington which had been my initial destination for the day. I arrived there around 1:30pm and instantly decided to keep moving to the Four Corners Monument -- at the intersection of the states of NM, AZ, UT and CO.

The "Monument" is on Navajo controlled land for which the Navajo's charge a $3 entry fee to view a brass marker surrounded by what looks like a dilapitated flea-market of T-shirt and trinket vendors. I wasn't impressed -- but did find some humor of my seeing this microeconomic example of unregulated capitalism on the same day that we learned of bigger AIG bonuses. And, I learn tonight from my reading on the internet, the "monument" isn't even in the right spot anymore based on current technology. A mile here, two miles there -- who really cares -- I doubt anyone including the Navajo toll collectors and vendors really cares where in this flat desert landscape the true "corner" exists.
Admittedly, my bleak assessment of this spot may be clouded by the fact that I almost dumped my bike there as I was leaving -- just crawling along in the thick gravel. It was one of the moments that passes in a flash but haunts every memory of it. As much as I would like to forget this very forgettable sightseeing gimmick, I will forever remember the Four Points Monument as where I almost dumped my bike.

I finished off the day with a bunch more straight and ended up in Blanding, UT -- which was about as interesting as Farmington. I took a chance on a $25 a night motel room, the cheapest of my trip, and got about what I paid for. Good news is that the sheets and towels were clean, and I know I didn't bother my neighbor because I could hear him snoring.

Little did I know, as I drifted off to sleep, that Blanding would turn out to be a most excellent place to begin a day long ride that will be a contender for best ride of the trip -- and among the top rides of my life. Stayed tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment