Sunday, October 18, 2009

Random Thoughts - Why I Pass You

For most of the trip I've had this subject on my mind as I ride -- particularly when I get stuck behind some driver. I'm hoping that for those of you who don't ride motorcycles, I might provide a little insight into the problem -- so that you might be inspired to be a more thoughtful driver next time a motorcyclist ends up behind you.

I try to legally pass EVERY car/truck that gets in front of me -- and here are some of the reasons why:

10. I have seen a large number of cars/trucks have either one or both brake lights and turn signals that don't work. It's no fun and dangerous to try to figure out when you are braking or turning. When is the last time you checked your rear brake/turn signal lights?

9. I have seen a large number of cars/trucks with unsecured loads that are a bump away from flying into a motorcyclist's face, or worse, under a tire at 60 mph.

8. I have seen a huge number of car/truck drivers who are preoccupied with cell phone conversations or texting. I even saw one woman on this trip with a minicomputer perched between her belly and the steering wheel. [Remember, I sit high where I have excellent view into most all cars -- and I have great fun when I've found myself next to a driver who is on a cell phone, dialing or texting, by blasting my horn. It's fun to watch the offending driver's instantly come out of their distraction, trying to figure out what's going wrong.]

7. For optimum safe riding, I must enter each corner at a speed where I can continue to accelerate through the entire corner. Car drivers and many untrained/unskilled motorcyclists slow in the corners.

6. My life depends on my ability to correctly assess road condition and avoid road debris. When following a car/truck, my sight distance for road condition is severly limited. That piece of tire or metal that might just cause your car to bump, can kill me.

5. I have seen some car/truck drivers with pets sitting in their laps and therefore obstructing their steering while they drive. I'm giving 100% attention to driving my motorcycle, my life depends on it -- I wish you would drive the same way.

4. I have had several car/truck drivers spray their windshield washing fluid when I'm behind them. The drivers do not realize how much of the spray overshoots their window and hits my glasses or face shield.

3. My safety is great enhanced when I have nothing blocking my vision in the path of travel.

2. The wind disturbance created by the car/truck traveling in front of a me is significant, creating a buffeting of my head/helmet.

1. Because I can. Just kidding, of course -- but it is true. I've only ever been in one car that has acceleration approaching that of a motorcycle (Dave!).

Please note as well that none of the reasons is because I need to travel faster. In fact, often times the car ahead of me is traveling an acceptable speed -- and I'll still pass for all the reasons stated above. It is also true, though, that I will NEVER slow traffic behind me -- for even I will move or signal to the right if I perceive a vehicle behind me is moving faster than I am.

Generally, I can usually immediately tell if the car/truck driver ahead of me is either a motorcyclist or educated in motorcycling as those driver's will signal that they are moving to the right to allow me to pass immediately upon seeing me in their rearview mirror. I great appreciate their thoughtfulness -- which can be executed at any time, including when their is a double yellow that would otherwise prohibit my passing. If the leading car/truck just gives a brief signal, it allows me the opportunity to explain that my passing on a double yellow is permissible because the leading car/truck was signaling that they were either turning right or pulling over to allow me to pass.

I hope you'll think of some of these reasons next time you see a motorcyclist in your rear view mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment