Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 46 - Rain and Cold: California Prepares Me For the Northwest

First -- a warm family connection before leaving Reno. After that, the route out of Reno was the most cold and wet I've experienced on the entire trip.

Little did I know that when I added the Google "Latitudes" feature to my blog site that it would be more than just entertaining to readers. Yesterday, when a first cousin observed that I was in Reno, she left a voice mail message which reminded me that one of her sons, whom I had never met, lived there. I reached him at home and we arranged to meet at his nearby work location this morning. It was fun to connect with him not only because he is also an avid motorcyclist not too many years younger than I, but also because he reminded me alot of his grandfather, a favorite Uncle of mine who had inspired me with his work as a crop duster pilot and his sailing adventures. I think I was under 10 when this Uncle completed what I now realize must have been one of his bucket list trips -- sailing his 30-something foot sailboat from California to Hawaii.

It was great to start the day with this warm family connection -- because the rest of the day stayed a bone-chilling 39 to 41 degrees as I rode in the most intense rain I've ridden in during the previous 45 days on this trip. Thankfully my new rainsuit worked perfectly (again) and adding a second pair of socks and some extra layers kept me somewhat comfortable. The route was very straight (395 north through eastern California), traffic was not overwhelming and the rain was not constant. In fact at one point I had blue skies (though it wasn't warm) for part of the ride -- but that didn't stay long.

As planned, I put in about 275 miles and ended the day at a pre-arranged condo in Klammath Falls, Oregon -- now within about 320 miles from home -- tomorrow's destination. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment