Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 45 - The Biggest Little City

The first 225 miles of the "Loneliest Road: (Route 50) yesterday were enough for me -- but this morning I was "treated" to another 230 miles as I traveled westbound from Eureka, Nevada. It was more of the same. I finally left Route 50 on Route 341 through Virginia City on my way into Reno, Nevada. Route 341 was delightful as it is a spectacularly curvy and beautiful descent into Reno where the few cars I encountered immediately moved out of the way. I could tell from the number of motorcycles sitting along the street in the historic Virginia City on this Sunday that this is a popular local ride destination.

The condo I had arranged was just 3 blocks from the main street of Reno, so I enjoyed a leisurely stroll,
took in one of the buffet troughs and got a suitable amount of entertainment from losing about $15 in the machines. Later in the evening I was treated to some company from home -- I connected up with a couple who are great friends from my hometown who coincidentally happened to be traveling through Reno to a business conference in the Lake Tahoe area. The connection rendered the "Loneliest Road" here just a fading memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment